Conquering the Paper Monster – Part 1
Do you get a lot of junk mail? Are you still getting bills in the mail? The first thing you need to do is stop more papers from entering your home.
Stop junk mail.
- Stop unsolicited pre-screened offers for credit at OptOutPrescreen.com. Use the permanent option.
- Stop unsolicited commercial mail (magazines and catalogs) at DMAChoice.org
- Stop receiving catalogs and other unwanted mail from companies you have done business with at TrustedID (formerly CatalogChoice). This can also work for some charity mail that you receive.
Stop getting bills and statements in the mail. Here are just a few types of companies that offer a paperless option for billing and statements. Visit their websites and look for the paperless option or email/online-only.
- Credit cards
- Banks (checking and savings accounts)
How else do you accumulate papers? Can you stop them from coming in?
- Magazines. Do you actually read the magazines you buy? If so, be sure to toss them when you’re done. If not, cancel that subscription and save money and space!
- Newspapers. Do you read the paper or just get the paper for ads and/or coupons? Most of that information can be obtained online or in mobile apps.
- Flyers. Try to avoid picking up flyers. Or if you do, deal with the information immediately then toss the paper.
- Printed paper. Think twice before printing something. Can you just bookmark a website or flag that email? Can you use a smaller font and save paper and ink?
How else does paper get into your home? Think about how you can stop it. If you need help, send us an email and get us on your schedule!